Welcome to my blog !

Thursday, October 11, 2007

High-rise-cocoon complex- NY/NJ



Words finally burst into an excited gabble as they tripped over themselves in a hurry to be heard, as moist air swirled around me lifting my spirits. They had been locked out without a key in the sweltering confines of the 33 storied high rise building in Jersey city overlooking Manhattan where I lived , stifled and smothered hoping to express themselves someday. A feeling of having duct tape slapped across their mobile mouths. Some called it writer's block. I called it High-rise-cocoon complex.


As I walked along the river bank today, a gust of wind blew washing my face fresh,snapping me to attention clearing high-rise-cobwebs. They sang,they laughed and cheered the vast expanse of sky, unfettered by sky scrapers that dove to reach the fleeing white/gray flounces,trying to obscure the beauty of being, even as a copter whirred dully above. Where were the birds, flying free in other parts of the world? Were skywriters busy spewing smoke to read 'Fly East, people feed you and even clean up after you' ads that sent them winging eastward when we were not looking up?Or were they unable to recognize trees and hedges that looked too spruced up to nest, like a mannequin on a show case dolled up with a 'Do not touch' sign.Green inviting grass glistening with dew has 'Don't walk on grass' cardboard signs standing wooden on short stumps and trees have a circle of bright happy flowers around it making leaning against trees a thing of the past.

As I sat on the park bench,hungrily sucking in the sweet smell of the fresh waters of Hudson that a waft of river breeze had blown in, watching the gentle splash on embanking rocks against an unmoving New york skyline, my feet itched to feel them lap against my aching feet.They were tired of feeling the hard asphalt pavements and streets.Everything but the sky and fleecy gray clouds and cool fall waters felt real and natural.Plastic smiles,half hearted nods and unseeing eyes made a pained heart seek the balm of nature's caresses.

My feet traced a path towards lawlessness and I followed.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

They were much awaited,.. yearned for,.. and expected with bated breath. They were long due with good reason though. They were held up by reasons only travelers and settlers understand.

But now, they have arrived.. and in style. The cobwebs have been washed off. The words have re-emerged. Kudos to the Hudson!